For perfect comfort and optimal benefit, it is important to choose the size of your eyeglasses or sunglasses. Indeed, if you choose glasses that are too small, your frame can cause you headaches resulting from strong pressure on the temples. On the contrary, if your glasses are too big , they may slip on your nose and affect your vision correction or protection from solar radiation. So to find out how to choose the right size for your glasses, follow the guide.
How do I find the right size of glasses?
You will have found the right size for your glasses or sunglasses when they are well adapted to the width and shape of your face. To find out, a simple test: when you bend or turn your head from left to right, they should not fall but stay in place on your nose. From mommy adventures you can find the best choices now.
The criteria for finding the right size of glasses
When choosing your male or female eyeglass frame, you will need to make sure that:
- Your eyes are right in the center of the frame.
- Your eyebrows are well inside the glasses. The frame should follow the line of your eyebrows without cutting it. This rule is only valid for prescription glasses.
- Your frame does not exceed the width of your face.
- Your frame does not touch your cheekbones.
- If you have a wide face, small, narrow glasses should be avoided. Conversely, if you have a thin face, large glasses that “eat” the face are not recommended.
How to measure your glasses size?
If you buy your glasses from an optical store, your optician will find the right size for your glasses. If you wish to order your glasses on the internet, you can either measure your glasses size yourself or use the references of an old pair of glasses. To measure the size of your glasses, take a ruler and keep it aligned at your temples.
Men and Women: How to measure your glasses size?
Note the following dimensions:
- The width of your face between the 2 temples.
- The width of the bridge of your nose: measure the size of your nose at the level of its root located at the beginning of the eyebrows (the narrowest part).
- The width of the glasses: to calculate it, you do not need your ruler. You just need to subtract the width of your nose bridge from the width of your face, then divide the number found by half to get the width of the glasses.
- We reassure you, if the measurements are not completely exact, a tolerance of 2 to 3 mm is allowed for the width of the glasses and the nose bridge , even 5 mm for the width of your face . However, the more precise the measurements, the better your glasses will fit.
How to read the dimensions indicated on the glasses and what do they correspond to?
For the purchase of your new glasses, you can also use the references of your old pair if they were the right size and met the criteria mentioned above.
The size of the glasses is usually inscribed on the inside of one of the two temples. Measurements expressed in millimeters consist of three numbers which correspond to the width of the lens, the width of the bridge and the length of the branches . Two additional dimensions will be communicated to you by your optician or the online sales site: the height of the glasses and the total width of the glasses.