There is a huge increase in population, making agriculture one of the top essential industries. As the world of technology advances, the agricultural sector also shows the development of sustainable farming. Since there is a huge demand for food and other agricultural products, it is important to find sustainable ways on how to meet the need for food. Sustainable agriculture is all about providing demands by still preserving the environment.
Improving soil quality, reducing erosion, and finding ways on how to preserve water are the core areas that need to be addressed in sustainable farming. In the past, the agricultural sector progresses slowly, but with the efforts of experts, it positively goes with the trend. In this article, we’ll get to know the latest technology that is being used to have sustainable farming.
- Vertical farming
As its name implies, it is the practice of growing different kinds of plants and herbs vertically in stacked layers. Plants are produced in a controlled environment to ensure that the growth is fully optimized. In most cases, soilless farming techniques are used, such as aeroponics or hydroponics. The main benefit of vertical farming is it speeds up the process of yielding to increase efficiency and productivity.
This type of farming is done indoors, so the use of grow lights is necessary. It is an essential process to cultivate food, fiber, produce fuel, and other plant-based products. Vertical farming also solves the problem of the destruction and loss of agricultural lands. No need to directly plant on the ground, making it perfect for those who do not have a lot of space.
- Reduction of use of pesticides
Sustainable farming is all about the use of products that will not cause harm to humans and the environment. To achieve this, it is ideal for growing in a controlled environment where the plant is safe from pests so; there’s no need to use pesticides. The use of pesticides helps achieve high-quality crops, but it has a negative impact on the environment.
Organic farming is the new trend that aids in human health. Since sustainable agriculture reduces the use of commercial products, it can help you save money and other resources. You can DIY effective and safe home-made products that you can use if the total elimination of pests is impossible. Harvesting crops without the use of pesticides or chemicals tend to be nutritious and healthy.
- Remote sensing
This technology allows farmers to monitor their crops without the need to go on the farm physically. It makes use of satellite imagery where multiple perspectives are given, so it gives the feeling that you can see the actual plant. No need to do the guessing game if the soil or water used is healthy because it is efficient in detecting these factors.
Another great feature of remote sensing to farmers is that it can get soil moisture data. It determines the condition of the soil to prevent your plant from any damage. If you are into hydroponics, it can also efficiently measure the pH level.
- Farm Robotics
The use of this green technology is well utilized for large farms. It aims to increase productivity. The days spent of a farmer to complete the whole process of planting are only accomplished within a few minutes through the farm robotics. It has the ability to cloud seeding, weed control, soil, analysis, environmental control, and harvesting.
It is greatly used in industrial agriculture that helps deliver the demands of agricultural products in a particular area. Progressive countries such as Japan make use of this robotics to harvest fruits. There is a vast difference in production when farm robotics are used compared to manual strategies of planting crops and other food plants.
- Strategies to generate freshwater
One of the modern trends of agriculture is the ability to increase water efficiency. During the summer season, drought is a common problem, especially in agricultural areas. There are also places where freshwater resources are scarce. To address the water issues, the use of solar power to generate energy is used. It helps in desalinating water so; it is possible to get water in all sources.
Advantages of Sustainable Farming
- It increases crop output. In sustainable farming, it aims to increase crop production through the natural way. There is a positive trend in the amount of harvested production since the soil nutrients are not degraded. Farmers can grow more crops in a limited space.
- It does not advocate the use of chemicals and commercial fertilizers; that is why it helps in the preservation of the natural ecosystem. Through sustainable farming, it prevents pollution because there will be a lesser waste.
- It advocates the use of locally available products thus; it saves more time, energy, and resources. There will also be a significant cut down in the overall cost of farm production.
- It helps in maintaining biodiversity. Sustainable farming allows you to grow a wide variety of plants and animals that helps in maintaining balance in the eco-system. Crop rotation is also performed thus; it helps in the prevention of plant diseases and pest outbreaks.
Disadvantages of Sustainable Farming
- One of the disadvantages of sustainable farming is that it puts a limit on the proper use of land. Since it advocates the use of resources sparingly, it hinders full exploitation of the property, labor, and capital.
- Another disadvantage is that there are times when the crops do not reach their full growth because there’s a need for crop downsizing, so it will not leach out all the nutrients on the soil.
There are a lot of benefits to sustainable farming for both human health and the environment. Experts are advocating for farmers to adopt it due to its positive impact. There may be disadvantages, but still, its long list of advantages could compensate for it.